- Display stand included
- Delicate command/service module and lunar module with astonishing detail
- Authentic ascent stage
- Defined landing pad represented
- Intricate docking target and VHF antenna on ascent stage
- S-band steerable antenna and rendezvous radar antenna can be folded up/down
- Realistic landing radar antenna molded w/details
- Intricate descent stage w/realistic engine
- Egress platform with delicate detail
- Diminutive reaction control thruster assembled w/crisp details
- Docking Probe Assembly rendered w/intricate detail
- Realistic service propulsion system reproduced
- Photo-etched service module antennas authentically reproduced
- Aft heat shield molded w/fine detail
Dragon is proud to launch a completely new line of 1/72 scale model spacecraft. The first fantastic kit set in this new collection is of Apollo 11, the first craft to put man on the Moon. Watched by millions of TV viewers, the historic Moon landing occurred on 20 July 1969 when the Apollo 11 mission touched down on lunar soil of the southern Sea of Tranquility. The Lunar Module (LM), christened Eagle, spent 21.5 hours on the Moons surface, while the Command Module (CM) named Columbia orbited above. The US flag was planted on the Moon, indicating to all who the winner of the Cold War space race was. The first astronaut to set foot on the Moon was Neil Armstrong, followed by Buzz Aldrin. The module returned to Earth on 24 July, splashing down in the Pacific Ocean with 21.5kg of lunar rocks and samples safely aboard.
As for Dragons 1/72 scale model, it features the Eagle LM still coupled to the Columbia CM on its approach to the Moon. The spacecraft modules are all newly tooled and they possess accurate details. Having the two modules connected like this makes for an impressive sight when theyre exhibited on the integral display stand. The kit also makes for an interesting education lesson, allowing modelers to understand more about this milestone event. The Apollo 11 mission was indeed one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind. And now Dragon has added one more significant step for modelers too!